New application for working visa

Fresh new application for working visa, Z visa, work permit, residence permit, not leaving China, etc.


Any foreigner who wants to work in China must obtain the China Work Permit and the Residence Permit (collectively called "Working Visa or Working Permission") before you can legally work here in China. Holders of the Chinese Working Visa are allowed to leave and return to China without any additional visas as long as the permits are valid. 
Typically the Work Permit and the Residence Permit will be 12 months valid and can be renewed before expiration when you keep working or residing in China. However, we are able to assist to get a longer Work Permit and Residence Permit if you and you company in China can meet certain requirements (such as at least 3 million USD of paid in capital). 

Holders of Chinese M visa, L visa, G visa or C visa, foreign students in China or accompanying family members of holders of Chinese working visa are not allowed to work in China.

Exit and Entry Administration Law of the China, effective from 01/07/2013
Article 41 “Foreigners who work in China shall obtain work permits and residence permits for work in accordance with relevant regulations.” 

Circular of the Ministry of Labor on Implementing the Provisions on Administration of Employment of Foreigners in China
In case any foreigner who is employed by a foreign company and get paid from such foreign company is assigned to work in China and the period of work in China is accumulatively more than 3 months (inclusive), he/she will be deemed as work in China. He/she shall apply a Chinese Z visa, work permit and residence permit from Chinese authorities.

Further, please note the following:
1. During the process, foreigners are required to leave China to go to the Chinese consulate or embassy at their home country to apply for the Z visa and then return to China later to apply for the Work Permit and the Residence Permit. The Z visa is a temporary working visa, issued by the Chinese consulate to enable the foreigner to enter China to complete the rest application for the Work Permit and the Residence Permit. Z visa is valid for only 30 days from the date of entry, during which you and your sponsoring company must apply for the Work Permit and the Residence Permit for you. Please note that holders of such a Z visa can only work for the company sponsoring the visa. If you get caught working for any other company in any form, you may face having the visa revoked and risks being deported.

2. However, if you are employed by a Shanghai company (WFOE or Chinese company), we may be able to assist you to apply for the Work Permit directly and change your tourist visa (L visa) or business visa (M visa) into the Residence Permit in China directly without leaving China (depending on the nationality).  

Our Services

If you need the China Working Visa (Work Permit and Residence Permit), we can help you with all the application procedures. 

Our services are as follows:

1. We will assist to prepare all the application documents for you, including forms and a translation of all the documents into Chinese.
2. We will handle all working visa necessary formalities. We will also arrange the health check for you.
3. We will make a time table according to your travel schedule so that you can travel during the application period.
4. We can assist to get a 24 hours turn-around temporary visa from Hong Kong – depending on the case.
5. We will also take care of China visa for your family members. 

Simply contact us, and we will take care of the rest of work for you!

For more information, please feel free to contact us.
Call: 86-21-61101981, 61101982


Basic requirements:
1. Healthy, and can pass the China health check
2. Having a Chinese employer entity or representative office
3. Minimum 2 years relevant working experience suitable for the proposed position
4. No criminal records
5. Valid passport, with at least six months of remaining validity and at least 4 blank visa pages
6. Male: 18-60 years old, Female: 18-55 years
7. At least bachelor or similar education degree

Further, please note that each application is different, long and complicated. The application may be denied due to various reasons, such as difficult to get documents chopped, lack of working experience, insufficient qualification, etc. 

To ensure the application documents are properly prepared and submitted, please consult with our consultants for more information. 


We need the following documents from you:

1. Passport
2. Your resume
3. Education degree certificate
4. Passport-size photo
5. Working experience certification(s) from your previous employer
6. Local police registration certification (we can organize for you)
7. Chinese Health Certificate (we can organize for you)
8. No criminal certificate (depending on the case)

For the following documents, we will organize directly with your employer in China:

1. Business License of Chinese company (or Representative Office Registration Certificate)
2. Organizational Code Certificate
3. Certificate of Approval (if applicable)
4. Representative Certificate, if applicable (only when you are attached to a representative office)
5. Employment or assignment certification 
6. Application forms and documents as required by the authorities in each case

Once you have the documents in order please scan and email them to us for review prior to sending them.

The above list is part of application documents and for reference only. We will provide a full Checklist upon your confirmation to proceed. Further, each application is different. The Chinese authorities may request additional documents during the examination of an application which are not mentioned in the above standard list. Our clients are hereby informed that submitting the above mentioned documents does not guarantee automatic approval of the application.

Processing Time

Time: around 2 months 

Please note that the application process is long. During the application period, you need to watch the validity of the China visa you are holding to ensure your activities and staying in China is legal. Keep in mind you must have a valid visa not only to enter China, but also to leave China. Overstay is illegal and will cause serious penalty and influence on the future visa application in China. Let us know when you get stuck. We can assist you to extend the visa for another 1-2 months.

Exit and Entry Administration Law of the China, effective from 01/07/2013
Article 78 “Foreigners who reside in China illegally shall be warned; where circumstances are serious, they shall be fined 500 Yuan per day and not more than 10,000 Yuan in total, or be detained for more than five days and less than 15 days.”

The above is standard time frame in regular circumstances and starts from the date of completion of required documents, and does not include additional time spent on documents delivery, unforeseeable events such as additional queries raised by the Chinese authorities, difficulty to get necessary documents signed and so on.

1. Do I have to go to the immigration office when apply for the Residence Permit later?
Yes, foreigners and their accompanying family members above 18 years old (inclusive) must go to the Chinese immigration office when apply for the Residence Permit.
2. What kind of entity can be the employer in China?
Your employer in China can be WFOE, local company, branch office, representative office or a Chinese entity where you are assigned to work.
3. What if my visa expired and overstay in Shanghai, what can I do and how much fine should I pay?
It depends. According to the Chinese immigration law, foreigners who over stay their Chinese visas will be charged a penalty of RMB 500 per day (maximum up to RMB10,000) or be detained for more than 5 days and less than 15 days. We suggest you contact us immediately. If it is handled in time and properly, it is possible to avoid penalties and liability. Otherwise, as the time goes late, everything will get more difficult to handle.
4. Do you know if 24 hours turnaround is possible on an M business visa from Hong Kong?
Yes. For some countries (such as USA, UK, Australian) we can assist you to get an M visa within 24 hours from Hong Kong
5. If I lost my passport in Shanghai, what should I do?
You should go to the Shanghai immigration office to report lost as soon as possible and a lost report will be issued to you. Then you can go to your Consulate in Shanghai to apply for a new passport and get a re-issued visa from the Shanghai immigration office.
6. Tourist visa expiration - I'm currently in Shanghai under tourist visa. I have found a job already but the company will help me apply for the work visa a couple of days after my tourist visa expires. So should i get an extension on my tourist visa? or
It is illegal for foreigners to stay in China after the China visa expires. You need to extend the tourist visa before the work visa is granted. In Shanghai, the tourist visa can be extended 30 days at a time but can only be extended just once. Let us know which city you are based in China to see there is any further we can help.