Extension application

Extension application, renewal of working visa, work permit, residence permit


Holders of the Work Permit and the Residence Permit can extend the validity of the permit and visa before its expiration. Overstaying your visa is illegal in China. In case your Work Permit and Residence Permit become invalid as the time goes late, you will be not able to extend them. 

Our Services

If you need to extend the Work Permit and the Residence Permit, we can help you with all the application procedures.

Our services are as follows:
- We will assist to prepare all the application documents for you.
- We will handle all the extension formalities, including the work permit and the residence permit.
- We will make a time table according to your travel schedule so that you can travel during the application period. 
- We can provide rush service if asked.
- We will also take care of extension of China visa for your family members. 

We are experienced to handle the extension application for foreign expats over 60 years old. Please contact us for more information when you need the service.

Simply contact us, and we will take care of the rest of work for you! 

For more information, please feel free to contact us.
Call: 86-21-61101981, 61101982


Basic requirements:
1. Valid passport and Residence Permit
2. Valid Work Permit
3. Valid employment contract
4. Male: 18-60 years old, Female: 18-55 years. Please note for expats over 60 years old, the failure rate is high. However, if you are senior management, investor or legal representative of the company and canmeet certain requirements there will still be possibility to get approved the extension application. 
To ensure the application documents are properly prepared and submitted, please consult with our consultants for more information. 


We need the following documents from you:
1. Passport 
2. Work Permit
3. Passport-size photo
4. Local polic registration certification (we can organize for you)
Following documents we will organize directly with your employer in China:
1. Business License of the Chinese company (or Representative Office Registration Certificate)
2. Organizational Code Certificate
3. Certificate of Approval (only for foreign invested company)
4. Representative Certificate, if applicable
5. Employment or assignment certification
6. Other forms and documents as required by the authorities in each case
Once you have the documents in order please scan and email them to us for review prior to sending them.

The above list is part of application documents and for reference only. We will provide a full Checklist upon your confirmation to proceed. Further, each application is different. The Chinese authorities may request additional documents during the examination of an application which are not mentioned in the above standard list. Our clients are hereby informed that submitting the above mentioned documents does not guarantee automatic approval of the application.

Processing Time

Time: around 15 working days
The above is standard time frame in regular circumstances and starts from the date of completion of required documents, and does not include additional time spent on documents delivery, unforeseeable events such as additional queries raised by the Chinese authorities, difficulty to get necessary documents signed and so on.

1. Do I have to go to the immigration office when apply for the Residence Permit later?
Yes, foreigners and their accompanying family members above 18 years old (inclusive) must go to the Chinese immigration office when apply for the Residence Permit.
2. What kind of entity can be the employer in China?
Your employer in China can be WFOE, local company, branch office, representative office or a Chinese entity where you are assigned to work.
3. What if my visa expired and overstay in Shanghai, what can I do and how much fine should I pay?
It depends. According to the Chinese immigration law, foreigners who over stay their Chinese visas will be charged a penalty of RMB 500 per day (maximum up to RMB10,000) or be detained for more than 5 days and less than 15 days. We suggest you contact us immediately. If it is handled in time and properly, it is possible to avoid penalties and liability. Otherwise, as the time goes late, everything will get more difficult to handle.
4. Do you know if 24 hours turnaround is possible on an M business visa from Hong Kong?
Yes. For some countries (such as USA, UK, Australian) we can assist you to get an M visa within 24 hours from Hong Kong
5. If I lost my passport in Shanghai, what should I do?
You should go to the Shanghai immigration office to report lost as soon as possible and a lost report will be issued to you. Then you can go to your Consulate in Shanghai to apply for a new passport and get a re-issued visa from the Shanghai immigration office.
6. Tourist visa expiration - I'm currently in Shanghai under tourist visa. I have found a job already but the company will help me apply for the work visa a couple of days after my tourist visa expires. So should i get an extension on my tourist visa? or
It is illegal for foreigners to stay in China after the China visa expires. You need to extend the tourist visa before the work visa is granted. In Shanghai, the tourist visa can be extended 30 days at a time but can only be extended just once. Let us know which city you are based in China to see there is any further we can help.