Cancel work permit and visa

Cancel working visa, cancel work permit, cancel residence permit


In case your employment or assignment is terminated or expires and you do not continue to work in China, you and the company are required to cancel your Work Permit and Residence Permit within 10 working days from the date when you leave the job, and a temporary visa of 1 month (nonrenewable) will be issued for you to leave China.

However, in case you are just transferring your job to a new company in China, we can assist to get your Work Permit and Residence Permit transferred into the new company so that you can continue to stay and work in China. You do not need to cancel them. You can refer to our “Transfer to a new company” for more information.

Our Services

If you need to cancel the Work permit and/or the Residence Permit, we can help you with all the application procedures.

Our services are as follows:
1. We will prepare all the application documents for you.
2. We will handle all the cancellation procedures, including deregister the Work Permit and the Residence Permit. 

Simply contact us, and we will take care of the rest of work for you!


Basic requirements:
1. Valid passport and Residence Permit
2. Valid Work Permit
3. Your employment or assignment to China is already expires or terminated

To ensure the application documents are properly prepared and submitted, please consult with our consultants for more information.


The following documents are required:
1. Work Permit
2. Termination certification with the company
3. Application forms for cancellation of Work Permit
4. Passport-size photo
5. Local police registration certificate
6. other supporting documents may be required
Once you have the documents in order please scan and email them to us for review prior to sending them.

The above list is part of application documents and for reference only. We will provide a full Checklist upon your confirmation to proceed. Further, each application is different. The Chinese authorities may request additional documents during the examination of an application which are not mentioned in the above standard list. Our clients are hereby informed that submitting the above mentioned documents does not guarantee automatic approval of the application.

Processing Time

Time: around 10 working days
The above is standard time frame in regular circumstances and starts from the date of completion of required documents, and does not include additional time spent on documents delivery, unforeseeable events such as additional queries raised by the Chinese authorities, difficulty to get necessary documents signed and so on.

1. Do I have to go to the immigration office when apply for the Residence Permit later?
Yes, foreigners and their accompanying family members above 18 years old (inclusive) must go to the Chinese immigration office when apply for the Residence Permit.
2. What kind of entity can be the employer in China?
Your employer in China can be WFOE, local company, branch office, representative office or a Chinese entity where you are assigned to work.
3. What if my visa expired and overstay in Shanghai, what can I do and how much fine should I pay?
It depends. According to the Chinese immigration law, foreigners who over stay their Chinese visas will be charged a penalty of RMB 500 per day (maximum up to RMB10,000) or be detained for more than 5 days and less than 15 days. We suggest you contact us immediately. If it is handled in time and properly, it is possible to avoid penalties and liability. Otherwise, as the time goes late, everything will get more difficult to handle.
4. Do you know if 24 hours turnaround is possible on an M business visa from Hong Kong?
Yes. For some countries (such as USA, UK, Australian) we can assist you to get an M visa within 24 hours from Hong Kong
5. If I lost my passport in Shanghai, what should I do?
You should go to the Shanghai immigration office to report lost as soon as possible and a lost report will be issued to you. Then you can go to your Consulate in Shanghai to apply for a new passport and get a re-issued visa from the Shanghai immigration office.
6. Tourist visa expiration - I'm currently in Shanghai under tourist visa. I have found a job already but the company will help me apply for the work visa a couple of days after my tourist visa expires. So should i get an extension on my tourist visa? or
It is illegal for foreigners to stay in China after the China visa expires. You need to extend the tourist visa before the work visa is granted. In Shanghai, the tourist visa can be extended 30 days at a time but can only be extended just once. Let us know which city you are based in China to see there is any further we can help.